Thursday, December 08, 2011

Holiday Granola

What did you have for breakfast? One big question I am always asked when I call my mum in India or when S calls me after his morning meetings or when I say no to heavy lunches while visiting friends. As kids we always had Idli, Dosa, Pongal, with chutnies & sambhar in the morning before rushing through the door to get the school van. We called it "morning tiffin" and never ever skipped it. Then came the new trend of Kellogg's cornflakes but, we were allowed this luxury breakfast only on Sundays and I eventually got bored of it. Living away from home, I did make proper "morning tiffin" for a long time, until I discovered how easy it is to make granola and how awesome it is with milk or yogurt. I have made so many variations but I think I like this one with chocolate & spices in it, perfect for the holiday season. S likes to drown them in milk while I like mine with flavored yogurt & fruits. This has led me to the curious question of How you like your morning cereals?Do you like it with milk or with yogurt? Do you like the milk warm or cold?


 


Holiday Granola 
Ingredients 

400g jumbo oats or a mix of oats,millet,spelt 

200g flaked almonds 

50g hazelnuts 

100g omega mix (linseed, sesame seeds, pumpkin seed, sunflower seeds) 

2tbsp maple syrup 

3tbsp honey 

120ml melted butter or vegetable oil 

100g mixed dried berries (cranberries, blueberries etc) 

Seeds scraped from a vanilla pod 

Zest of 1 orange 

1tsp mixed spice 

1tsp cinnamon 

Handful of white chocolate buttons (60g)
Handful of dark chocolate buttons  
(60g)
Method: 

Preheat oven to 170C. Pour the melted butter/oil and honey over the oat mixture. Add the spice mix, zest, vanilla and stir until all the oats and nuts are coated with the liquids. Bake them for about 25 to 30 minutes or until they are crisp and golden. Stir in the berries half way through. Remove the granola from the oven and allow cooling slightly and stir in the chocolate buttons while still warm, so that you have some melted and some as bits. Store in an air-tight container once cool.  


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Design © 2011 Laura Jane Designs